How to Choose a Good Stand Mixer

I've been looking at stand mixers lately, and there's quite a lot on the market. They range from small to large, weak to powerful, white to tangerine. With so much out there, I've had to step back and figure out how to choose a good stand mixer. Obviously, it would be foolish to rely only on the look of the mixer. So after much thought and consideration, I've realized that choosing a good stand mixer required me to answer some important where, what, and how questions.

Where will it go in my kitchen?
While this might not be the first question that comes to mind when deciding how to choose a good a stand mixer, it is very important. I had to take a step back and look at my kitchen carefully.
Do I have counter space to store the mixer?
Will I need to move it forward and backward on the counter?
Will I need to keep it in a cabinet when not in use?

KitchenAid

Some of the stand mixers on the market today are very heavy, especially the ones with larger capacities. But even the smaller ones require room to be stored and room to operate. Many stand mixers have tilt-back heads. If the mixer will be used on a counter with an overhead cabinet, there needs to be clearance to raise the head. It would be awful to choose a stand mixer that was difficult to fit or use in the kitchen space you have available.

What will I use it for?
When trying to choose a stand mixer, it's important to stop and think about the different things the stand mixer will be asked to do. In my home we use it to whip cream and butter. We make treats of granola, cakes, brownies, and cookies. But we also give it a work out with pizza dough and homemade bread. I use it for other cooking jobs too, such as mashing potatoes and mixing up ground meat dishes. As I thought about these things, I realized that an entry-line machine wouldn't last long in our house. I would be dissatisfied every time I used it and would probably wear out the motor very quickly. I also liked the idea of being able to add attachments to the mixer to widen the amount of jobs it would help me accomplish.

What about your uses for the mixer? A stand mixer that will only be used occasionally doesn't need to be very powerful. And single batches of cookies don't take much room in the mixing bowl. Take careful thought of what you will use it for when deciding how to choose a good stand mixer.

How much will I make with it?
At first glance, this may seem identical to the last question. And while it is related, it really goes a step further. I stopped to think how large the batches would need to be when I used the stand mixer. With my family, 3 dozen cookies just don't cut it (unless I want to make more in a few days!). When I make cookies I make them in large quantities and then freeze some for future treats. I never make just one pie at a time since it's gone too fast. And forget mashing a pound or two of potatoes. I make at least 6 pounds at a time. When I thought about how much I make, I realized that I needed a machine with a large capacity AND a strong enough motor to handle that work.

Thankfully, many of the mixers on the market are rated by how many cups of flour they can handle. I pulled out my recipes and began to compare what I needed to accomplish with what the machines could handle. But I did notice one very important thing. Most machines are listed according to cups of all purpose flour. If you use whole grain or bread flours like I do, the number of cups the machine can handle must be reduced to compensate for the heaviness of the flours. You definitely want to choose a good stand mixer that can handle whatever type of flour you use.

How is the machine built?
This one was very important to me and encompasses many things. I was concerned with the company's reputation and the satisfaction of the product owners. What was the warranty period and how does the company handle problems? We never like to think about bad things happening, but they sometimes do. The more I thought about machine construction, I became concerned about the type of motor used. Was it all-metal and durable? Were there belts that could wear out and break? I decided I wanted a machine that would last for many years, and a company that would stand behind that machine as well.

How to Choose a Good Stand Mixer